Doctoral Degree Programs
With program length of 3-4 academic years, doctoral degree programs are offered in Chinese generally, while some English-taught programs are also available. Graduates fulfilling all the degree requirements will be awarded the doctoral degree.
Applicants are encouraged to contact their prospective supervisors prior to application (Click here to find websites of colleges/departments) and are expected to enclose in their application package with the Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by LZU Professor (download.pdf).
Beginning of the Programs
Doctoral degree programs of Lanzhou University is supposed to start in Mid-September. For the exact date, please refer to the Admission Notice.
Liberal Arts RMB 23,000/year
Science RMB 33,000/Year
Medical science RMB 49,500/Year
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health with no infectious disease or any physical or mental diseases that may affect the normal study, have a master’s degree and be under the age of 45 (Age limit is flexible for healthy applicants with certain work experience and high academic ability).
Language proficiency requirements:
1. Applicants for Chinese-taught programs of literature, history, philosophy, education and law should have a level 4 HSK certificate with minimum score of 210，or HSK certificate of level 5 or above; applicants for other Chinese-taught programs should have a level 4 HSK certificate with minimum score of 190.
2. There are no Chinese language proficiency requirements for the applicants of English-taught programs, but they (except for English native speakers) must have an internet-based TOEFL test score 90 or IELTS test score 6.5 (or above).
Documents for Application (Bound and Placed in the Following order)
1. International student’s application form for Lanzhou University
Please log on the Online Application System (click to entre) to make an application successfully and then print the form out and sign your name.
2. A photocopy of passport.
3. Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by LZU Professor, (download.pdf). (If any)
4. Highest degree certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies. If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
5. Academic transcripts during Master’s and Bachelor’s degree study, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
6. Photocopies of language (Chinese or English) proficiency certificates. Applicants for Chinese-instructed programs must provide the photocopy of HSK certificate. Applicants for English-instructed programs must provide the certificate of TOEFL or IELTS test score. (Not required for English native speakers)
7. Personal statement, in Chinese or English, should include study and work experience, reasons for application and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
8. Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors, in Chinese or English. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.)
9. Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (If any)
Applicants shall submit or post all the above-mentioned application materials to the International Students Affairs Office of the School of International Cultural Exchange of Lanzhou University in person or entrust others with that by the deadline. The application package should be labeled “Doctoral Degree Program Application Materials.”
The incomplete application materials or the application submitted by email will not be processed. The additional documents may be required when necessary.
Application materials will NOT be returned regardless of the result of the application.
1. The university enrollment will be made on the basis of competitive selection according to the students’ academic performance, personal study plan and HSK test grade, etc.
2. The name list of admitted applicants will be announced on the International College website in late July 2016. Admission Notice with other relevant documents will be sent out before the end of July, 2016.
Successful applicants should apply for the student visa (X1 visa) to the Chinese embassy or consulate in their home country with passport, “Admission Notice” and “Visa Application for Study inChina” and register within the specified time at Lanzhou University. Successful applicants who submitted pre-graduation certificate during the application must provide the original copy or notarized photocopy of degree certificate upon registration; those who fail to provide will be disqualified from admission.
After the registration within the specified time, new students will be arranged at the dormitory buildings on campus. For details, please click here to read.
Miss Wang Shan, Miss. Xie Fei
Mailing address: School of International Cultural Exchange, Lanzhou University
222 South Tianshui Road, Lanzhou 730000, Gansu Province
P. R. China
Office location: Office 908, Guanyun Building, Main Campus, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou.